|Post:||Full Stack Web Developer|
|Contract Duration:||12 Months Full Time|
|Department:||Learnovate Centre, School of Computer Science and Statistics|
|Salary:||Researcher Scale at a point commensurate with qualifications and experience|
|Closing Date:||31st May 2016|
Candidates are invited to apply for the position of: Full Stack Web Developer. This post will have responsibility for developing web based tools and server side services as part of a next generation eLearning platform. The development work will be conducted in collaboration with a dynamic, multi-disciplinary research team.
- The research and development of next-generation eLearning technologies
- Working in a dynamic team with a willingness to take on new tasks and learn new skills
- Working in especially close collaboration with the Pedagogy and UX team
- Minimum of five years software development experience in an academic or industrial R&D setting (essential)
- Proven track record in the development of system architectures and systems integration
- Honours degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar, technical discipline
- System development and integration experience with one or more of the following:
– Web application development
– Service Oriented Architectures
- Proven aptitude for Programming, System Analysis and Design using the following:
- Excellent analytical and software design skills as well as code optimization skills
- Enthusiastic and structured approach to systems development and testing
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- Fluent in English with excellent verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent written skills, experience in technical writing an advantage
- Proven ability to prioritise own workload and work to exacting deadlines
- Flexible and adaptable in responding to stakeholder needs
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to be a team player who is able to take responsibility to contribute to the overall success of the multidisciplinary team
- Desire to learn about new products, technologies and keep abreast of new product and technical developments
- Work well in both a team environment and independently.
- Enthusiasm for the commercialisation of research
- Experience with the following:
– Search technologies such as Apache SOLR
– Cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure
Please Note: No expenses will be paid in travelling to interview.
Background to the Post
The Learnovate Centre is an Enterprise Ireland/IDA funded centre of excellence in eLearning. The centre brings together state of the art research in eLearning from our academic partners (Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, National University of Ireland Galway, and Waterford Institute of Technology) with the real world business problems of our industry partners. Through focusing on the following four research themes the centre aims to develop innovative industry led eLearning solutions to benefit the Irish eLearning industry.
- Social and informal learning
- Mobile and collaborative learning
- Immersive learning
- Metrics and assessment
The School of Computer Science and Statistics at Trinity College Dublin offers a high quality educational experience to undergraduate and postgraduate students along with exceptional research opportunities for professionals in the fields of computer science and statistics. The school is proud of its reputation as an innovative and energetic centre for study and research.
The research interests of the school are wide and varied, ranging from the theoretical to the practical. The schools researchers are at the cutting-edge of their disciplines, working on prestigious research projects with other professionals in their fields, and with access to significant public and private funding and industry support.
Trinity College Dublin
Founded in 1592, Trinity College Dublin is the oldest university in Ireland and one of the older universities of Western Europe. On today’s campus, state-of-the-art libraries, laboratories and IT facilities, stand alongside historic buildings on a city-centre 47-acre campus. Trinity College Dublin is currently ranked 43rd in the top world universities by the Times Higher Education Supplement Global University Rankings 2009 and 13th in Europe. Trinity College Dublin offers a unique educational experience across a range of disciplines in the arts, humanities, engineering, science and human, social and health sciences. As Ireland’s premier university, the pursuit of excellence through research and scholarship is at the heart of a Trinity education. TCD has an outstanding record of publications in high-impact journals, and a track record in winning research funding which is among the best in the country. TCD has developed significant international strength in its research in eight major themes which include globalisation; cancer; genetics; neuroscience; immunology and infection; communications and intelligent systems; nano and materials science as well as Irish culture and the creative arts. TCD aims to become the world reference point in at least one of these areas of research in the next 10 years
Candidates are asked to submit a covering letter and a full CV to include the names and contact details of 3 referees (email addresses if possible), together with a link to an online portfolio of work to:
Dr Martyn Farrows, Centre Director,
Learnovate Centre, Unit 28, Trinity Technology and Enterprise Campus, Pearse Street, Dublin 2.
Please also CC application to:
Brenda McGuirk, Learnovate Centre, School of Computer Science, TCD