|Full Stack Developer
|4 months full time
|Learnovate Centre, School of Computer Science and Statistics
|Researcher Scale at a point commensurate with qualifications and experience
The Learnovate Centre is an industry-led research centre in educational technology. Our multi-disciplinary team works closely with our industry partners to deliver innovative learning technologies in the areas of mobile & collaborative learning, social & informal learning, immersive learning, and metrics & assessment.
We are looking for an experienced full stack developer to help us apply our cutting edge research in the development of innovative EdTech applications. We are looking for someone who will take on new challenges, and grow with our team.
- Build innovative web-based research demonstrators using frontend and backend technologies as well as web services
- Development for web, mobile and tablet apps
- Research and integration of open-source and bespoke technology solutions into engaging and innovative applications for next generation EdTech
- Work as part of a dynamic team with a willingness to take on new tasks and learn new skills
- Participate actively in a multidisciplinary team to design, build, and deploy novel educational technology demonstrators. You will contribute to software development, user interface design, scalable system architectures, and efficient ways to deploy these new technologies
- Work in especially close collaboration with the Pedagogy and UX team
- Meet and liaise with Industry Partners
- Write and manage technical reports
- Minimum of 2 years software development experience in an academic or industrial R&D setting (essential)
- Proven track record in development of user facing applications
- Degree in relevant technical discipline (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.) or equivalent industry experience
- System development and integration experience with one or more of the following:
– Web application development
– Mobile development
- Excellent analytical and software design skills
- Enthusiastic and structured approach to systems development and testing
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- Fluent in English with excellent verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent written skills, experience in technical writing an advantage
- Proven ability to prioritise own workload and work to exacting deadlines
- Flexible and adaptable in responding to stakeholder needs
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to be a team player who is able to take responsibility to contribute to the overall success of the multidisciplinary team
- Desire to learn about new products, technologies and keep abreast of new product and technical developments
- Work well in both a team environment and independently.
- Experience developing innovative educational technology solutions would be a significant advantage
- Experience with development of apps for iOS, Android or Windows
- Experience with Service Oriented Architectures and Web Service Integration
- Experience with hybrid app platforms and technologies
- Cloud hosting providers (AWS, Google Compute Engine, Microsoft Azure)
- Enthusiasm for the commercialisation of research.
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies
Background to the Post
The Learnovate Centre is an Enterprise Ireland/IDA funded centre of excellence in learning technologies. The centre brings together state of the art research from our academic partners (Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, National University of Ireland Galway, and Waterford Institute of Technology) with the real world business problems of our industry partners. Through focussing on the following four research themes the centre aims to develop innovative industry led eLearning solutions to benefit the Irish eLearning industry.
- Social and informal learning
- Mobile and collaborative learning
- Immersive learning
- Metrics and assessment
The School of Computer Science and Statistics at Trinity College Dublin offers a high quality educational experience to undergraduate and postgraduate students along with exceptional research opportunities for professionals in the fields of computer science and statistics. The school is proud of its reputation as an innovative and energetic centre for study and research.
The research interests of the school are wide and varied, ranging from the theoretical to the practical. The schools researchers are at the cutting-edge of their disciplines, working on prestigious research projects with other professionals in their fields, and with access to significant public and private funding and industry support.
Trinity College Dublin
Founded in 1592, Trinity College Dublin is the oldest university in Ireland and one of the older universities of Western Europe. On today’s campus, state-of-the-art libraries, laboratories and IT facilities, stand alongside historic buildings on a city-centre 47-acre campus. Trinity College Dublin is currently ranked 43rd in the top world universities by the Times Higher Education Supplement Global University Rankings 2009 and 13th in Europe. Trinity College Dublin offers a unique educational experience across a range of disciplines in the arts, humanities, engineering, science and human, social and health sciences. As Ireland’s premier university, the pursuit of excellence through research and scholarship is at the heart of a Trinity education. TCD has an outstanding record of publications in high-impact journals, and a track record in winning research funding which is among the best in the country. TCD has developed significant international strength in its research in eight major themes which include globalisation; cancer; genetics; neuroscience; immunology and infection; communications and intelligent systems; nano and materials science as well as Irish culture and the creative arts. TCD aims to become the world reference point in at least one of these areas of research in the next 10 years
Candidates are asked to submit a covering letter and a full CV to include the names and contact details of 3 referees (email addresses if possible) to:
Brenda McGuirk, Programme Manager,
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Tel: +353-1-896- 4910